Wednesday, April 22, 2020

Spring 2020 PSA

April 22, 2020 -- Had a blood draw today at  a nearly empty lab at Kaiser Permanente. A very short wait. The results:

PSA (Beckamn)  My value: 0.630 ng/mL       Standard Range:  0.0 - 6.5 ng/mL

This puzzles me. Perhaps the standard has changed over time, because I thought the standard range was 2-4, not 0.0-6.5. And when compared to my prior values, it appears that my PSA is on a gradual decline. Is that normal for a health prostate as a man grows older? Is this the result of atrophy?

April 30 phone consult:

Telephone consult with my gp: the bicalutamide and Lupron treatments were indended to block my testosterone. A shrinkage of the associated organs was to be expected. This is likely a permanent conditions. The good news is that the PSA numbers are so low (but far below the norm, I note). Exercise can build up muscle mass, which can increase testosterone, he observes. And I could talk to my oncologist about shots to address e.d. Compared to pills which cost a few dollars, the disposable needles that administer the shots are expensive, I say. Sex is getting increasingly expensive.

I point out to him that he's a young man, so now he knows what he has to look forward to. I also note that, ironically, Group Health sent out a publication years ago about the health benefits for older people enjoying sex.


No comments:

Post a Comment